Salem - Special Memory Care Community: When You Need Security and Gentle Understanding
In the Bible, Salem is referred to as a place of peace and safety. Our Salem neighborhood is a quiet and nurturing community for residents with Alzheimer's disease, dementia symptoms and other memory related conditions. The entrance to Salem is pass-code controlled to assure the safety of our residents. Since Salem residents respond well to familiar caregivers, we maintain the same staff as much as possible. This also helps our staff be familiar with the needs, cares, and routines of each resident. Staff receives additional training and instruction to identify and manage Dementia symptoms. All rooms are licensed as “Nursing.” The Salem Director is an RN and there is always a nurse on staff 24 hours a day. We provide total assistance to each resident and closely monitor their medical, mental, and emotional needs. Our nursing staff is highly skilled and experienced caring for individuals with dementia.
Keeping busy with an activity is an important part of everyone’s day. Salem is staffed with a vibrant activity professional every day and evening. Activities are individualized and designed for each resident’s functioning level and participation. On many afternoons, the aroma of fresh cookies baked in Salem’s kitchen is a welcome sensation. Three delicious meals are served each day in Salem’s dining room enhanced with bright natural outdoor lighting. Salem was designed and built specifically for residents with Alzheimer's or Dementia disorders. The floor plan of is based on the “household” model. Instead of corridors, Salem’s resident rooms open into the main living area to help residents navigate independently. Flooring and color patterns are soft and neutral to help alleviate confusion residents may have with bold and complex surfaces. The entire floor plan is open to help staff watch and monitor all residents. Salem residents enjoy the beautiful outdoor courtyard with walking paths and a raised flower garden accessible without stooping over. Please make an appointment today to tour Salem.
- Secure (pass code controlled)—a reassuring and safe environment.
- Consistent staff to allow residents to get to know their caregiver.
- Entire area beautifully remodeled in 2009.
- “Household” design—living room, dining area, kitchen, bedrooms.
- Each resident’s medical, mental, and emotional needs are carefully monitored—we provide 24 hour nursing care, total assistance and full medication management and administration.
- Individualized social activities based on resident’s needs.
- Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy Services.
- Support group for families.
- Geriatric nutritional management—three delicious meals served daily.
- Beautiful outdoor courtyard and walking paths for outdoor activities.
Alzheimer Support Group
Apostolic Christian Skylines hosts an Alzheimer Support Group meeting each month at Skylines. This is open to all families regardless if your loved one is at Skylines. Contact our Social Services Department for more information at (309) 683-2543.
The Alzheimer's Association provides a wealth of information and resources.